VAT Relief

Some of the products which can be purchased from Cassius are available for an eligible person to purchase without paying VAT on them.

How to claim:

If you are eligible for VAT relief on our products, before you make your purchase, please register for an account with us and send us your declaration form by post. You can download the form from the UK GOV website here. We will then be able to update your account and notify you that we have applied your exemption, enabling you to purchase without VAT.  

 Create an account


Further information on VAT relief

HM Revenue and Customs sets out the conditions when equipment for disabled people might be free of VAT and how to claim exemption from paying VAT on these products. Products a can only be exempt from VAT when all the following conditions are met:

  1. The customer is eligible to purchase supplies at the zero rate
  2. The goods are for the personal or domestic use of the customer
  3. The goods and services are eligible to be supplied at the zero rate


A more detailed explanation of each of these conditions is given below, but you can visit the HM Revenue and Customs Website to fully understand the conditions which are set out in VAT notice 701/7 (December 2014) – VAT reliefs for disabled people. You can also call the HMRC helpline 0300 123 1073. 

The product must be being purchased for someone who is chronically ill or disabled.

A person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ if he/she is a person:

  • with a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activities;
  • with a condition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes; or
  • who is terminally ill.

It does not include a frail elderly person who is otherwise able-bodied or any person who is only temporarily disabled or incapacitated, such as with a broken limb. ‘Personal or Domestic’ use means that the supply must be made available specifically for the use of an eligible individual.

You don’t have to physically buy the goods in person. If your parent, guardian or wife or husband buys the goods and services for you, then you won’t be charged VAT.

What counts as personal or domestic use?

Personal or domestic use means that the goods or services are supplied for your own private use, rather than for business purposes. Also, the goods or services must be just for your own use – not for use by anyone else, or chronically sick or disabled people in general. However, if you and your partner are both chronically sick or disabled and you buy goods or services for both of you to use, then you won’t have to pay VAT.

If possible the person making the claim should complete this form, but a family member, carer or medical professional may complete the form on the claimants behalf.